Resolute Bay Arctic Operations
Date: 1989 - Present
Location: Resolute Bay, Nunavut
Features: Facility operations and maintenance, fuel management, water treatment, airfield services, hospitality, construction and civil works
Resolute Bay is the second most Northern community in Canada and is host to several ATCO Frontec operations. The natural surroundings are unique and it’s home to polar bears, beluga whales, arctic foxes, and many other animals. The Resolute Bay airport is an important refuelling stop for aircraft passing through to other places in the high Arctic such as CFS Alert and Eureka. It’s also one of the coldest inhabited places in the world, with an average yearly temperature of −15.7 °C (3.7 °F). There’s nothing quite like operating in this environment.
We’ve been providing a wide range of site and operational support services in the hamlet for over 30 years, supporting a number of different clients with very unique requirements. We’re known to jump in at a moment’s notice to provide support in the community from responding to an Arctic rescue mission, to catering the high-school graduation.
AN OPERATIONAL HUB FOR THE NORTH
Some of our varied projects include:
Government of Nunavut
- Water / wastewater treatment
- Utilidor maintenance
- Fuel delivery services, including airport refueling and environmental
- Fuel tank farm management and maintenance for the Petroleum Products Division (PPD) of Nunavut
Natural Resources Canada - Polar Continental Shelf Program
- Facility maintenance and janitorial services for PCSP facilities
- Catering and housekeeping
- Annual sealift
- Snow removal
- Fuel delivery
- Airfield services
- Snow removal
- Aircraft support and offloading
- General and equipment maintenance
- Operation and maintenance of the Incoherent Scatter Radar at Resolute Bay Observatory
- Maintenance of all facilities, structures, systems and equipment at the airport
- Snow and ice control
- Aerological release of weather balloons
- Routine maintenance and snow removal
Department of National Defence
To support arctic training exercises for Canadian Armed Forces, the RCMP, Canadian Coast Guard and other government departments and agencies in Canada's North, we mobilize equipment and temporary accommodations for projects like Operation Nanook and Crystal City.
We also own and operate two hotels in Resolute Bay; the South Camp Inn and the Narwhal Airport Inn. They feature comfortable, warm rooms with amenities and services such as fitness room, common areas, dining and full meal services, and complimentary airport shuttle.